KDL is staffing Circulation Assistants through the use of a substitute staffing pool. Once hired, substitute Circulation Assistants will have the opportunity to work at various KDL locations, until possible placement in a regular part-time Circulation Assistant position at one of the 19 KDL branches. This is the primary means by which Circulation Assistants will be hired for regular positions, by first serving as a substitute.
Examples of Duties
Serves the public at the desk by checking in and out library materials, collecting money for fines and lost and damaged materials, issues new/replacement library cards, registers new patrons and processes name and address changes.
* Responsible for collection maintenance duties: sorts and shelves library materials; empties book-drop(s); shelf-reading; shifts materials; cleans, dusts, and inspects library materials for damage; discards and repairs library materials.
* Ensures circulation policies and procedures are followed for the proper handling of customer and material records for an accurate library database. This includes data entry of late, lost, damaged, and claims returned items, and patron information including necessary notes.
* Sorts, packs, unpacks, and inspects library materials received from or being delivered to other libraries.
* Runs reports and lists for item hold information and inter-library loan requests. Provides lists to others for purposes of retrieving items requested, and routes items appropriately. Contacts customers or other libraries as necessary.
* Provides informal reader's advisory service from the circulation function.
* Provides directional information to the public in person or by telephone. Refers advance reference requests to the information staff.
* Provides information to customers regarding the Library's circulation policies, procedures and refers issues to branch management as appropriate.
* Counts, balances, and records monies received through the circulation function. Forwards reconciled funds and paperwork to the Business Office.
* Provides assistance to customers and staff in the use of library equipment and machines (e.g., copier, on-line catalog, word processing, etc.); performs routine maintenance and corrects minor malfunctions of library equipment, such as refilling paper and toner and assisting with paper jams.
* Performs other clerical tasks upon request, including materials order entry, supply ordering, word processing, filing, checking in new periodicals, etc.
* Sorts and distributes U.S. and inter-office mail.
High school diploma or GED required.
* Basic clerical skills including computer and telephone skills.
* Knowledge of popular culture and various genres of material in the library collection.
* Basic mathematical skills necessary for routine calculations.
* Working knowledge and understanding of KDL policies and procedures.
* Ability to work with general supervision and adhere to established policies and procedures.
* Interpersonal and communication skills for interaction with staff and customers in a highly effective and courteous manner.
* Skills necessary to effectively provide leadership and guidance to less experienced circulation staff.
* Visual acuity necessary to retrieve library materials from shelves or storage areas.
* Physical ability to push/pull fully loaded book carts, retrieve or place materials above shoulder or below knee level, and lift/carry materials and delivery bags weighing up to 40 pounds.
* Hearing ability to answer telephone and customer inquiries.
* Manual dexterity, visual acuity and sufficient keyboarding/PC skills to effectively access information on the computer.
* Ability to operate a variety of equipment including computer, cash register, fax and copy machine.
* Ability to travel between work locations and related places of business as needed.
* KDL provides library services to our local communities seven days per week. * Position will require some evening and weekend hours. * While this position is currently assigned to the above location, KDL reserves the right to require employees to be available for assignments at any KDL location.